One often unappreciated aspect of New Orleans culture is the opportunity to be charitable by doing nothing more than eating, drinking and enjoying yourself. One such opportunity is upcoming, the annual Southern Food and Beverage Museum Gala. Local chefs and athletes have teamed together with the Southern Food and Beverage Museum to help research and combat the effects of the Gulf oil spill on southern communities.
With a clear nod to the World Champion New Orleans Saints (I’ll never get tired of writing that), the Hornets, the Zephyrs and other fine sports teams of the city, this year’s gala is a tailgate party, New Orleans style. While any chance to prolong the celebration of the Saints victory in Super Bowl XLIV and ring in the new season is welcome in my book, the list of participating restaurants can certainly stand on its own accord. Ever think you could squeeze in Galatoire’s, Bayonna, Dickie Brennan’s Steakhouse and Parkway Bakery for a meal and close it out with a Hubigs? Well you can, and then some!
Add the opportunity to hang out with the Big Easy Roller Girls or, for the young and/or timid, Boudreaux, the Zephyrs mascot, and it’s on. Word on the street is the folks over at the Southern Food and Beverage Museum have extended special invites to Saints and Hornets players. With the gala happening just days before the Saints first preseason game and Chris Paul reportedly not offered up for trades, who knows who you may see.
Sunday August 8
$75 for non-members
$65 for members
Children under 12–Free! (so pack in all the rug rats, even the neighbors kids)
Participating Chefs/Restaurants (and menu if available at press time):
* Acadiana–Chilled Golden Tomato Gazpacho, Ketel One Vodka and Jumbo Lump Crab Salsa “Shooters”
* Regina Charboneau — Watermelon and Tomato Salad with Mint Vinaigrette
* Bourbon House
* Broussard’s– Ceviche
* Cake Café
* Carolyn Shelton– Spicy Boudin Balls in Delicate Butter Lettuce Wrappers
* City Grocery–Seared Big Bad Bacon Pork Belly Rillettes with Cumin-Scented Heirloom Tomato Jam
* Dickie Brennan’s Steakhouse
* Galatoire’s– Avocado Vichysoisse with Louisiana Shrimp Relish
* Hubigs Pies
* Palace Café
* Parkway Bakery– Cuban Sandwiches
* The Praline Connection